I am still not "still"!

Right now I am technologically sad. A few weeks ago my IPOD spontaneously emptied itself and now Itunes doesn't recognize my IPOD anymore. The IPOD seems to be in perfect working condition?  That was a sad day and I don't know what to do to make it better. 

Yesterday Josiah, my smart and logical, but lacking common sense, 5 year old, took my cell phone into the bath tub with him to press numbers. 

I have come to depend on those things. I text with my sister, mom, Mel, Kim and others often. It is quick way to communicate. I am thankful for it. My IPOD became my friend. I had all my music on it. I had podcasts from CBC, Nancy Leigh DeMoss and others. I listened to sermons on it as I cleaned. It was more than a convenience and a pleasure. It was a tool that ministered to me as I went through my day. 

I am realizing without these, things are quieter and I don't like it.

I came across this post (below) from last April and have realized I have not made any headway in the area of having more quiet time. My life doesn't have to be filled with noise. It has enough noise with 5 kids in the house all day!  Actually just as an aside, I also used my IPOD to get away from the noise of my kids. Picture this: Me sitting in the chair in the middle of the day with my IPOD really loud listening to a (just one) song with my eyes closed. When the kids came close I just put my hand up. It was an oasis in the middle of the crazy. (O:

I have tried to rationalize that it is just part of my personality that I love music and I love to listen to things, but  I am sure that there can be too much a good thing. At times I think it drowns out the sound of my kids literally. Also I am busy listening to what someone on the radio, my phone or my IPOD is saying and I ignore my kids. My example above of just listening to one song is OK. But I still think I take it too far sometimes. It is time to put some practical guidelines in. 

But just for the record. I really want to figure out how to fix my IPOD and I am hoping my phone will dry out in the rice! (O:

This was a good reminder for me. Maybe it will be for someone else as well!
__________________________________________________________________________________
Be Still

****Power is on now!***** (o:


So I am sitting here in the semi dark on Thursday morning without power, typing on the laptop, in a word processing program. Ken is gone to school and only Grace and I are up. I have done all I can do. I have showered, the house is tidy and my bed is made up. The loads of wash I should be folding are still wet. The kids I should be feeding breakfast are still sleeping. I am going to let them sleep a little longer today because they had a late summer night last night. So it is quiet.

My first thought when I woke up was to turn on the radio and listen to the news. Then I realized that of course – no power. So I took off the back of the radio to see what kind of batteries I needed to make it happen. I need 6 C batteries. I found 3 in Grace's toy and 1 in the drawer. I am 2 short. So I texted my mom, across the street to see if she has 2. In the middle of all this I thought to myself, “Wowee serious?” Nothing bad is going to happen if I don't listen to the news, even though I like to know what is going on.. I can do without checking email and facebook. No one is depending on me to get back to them. What happened to “being still?”

I am never still. I listen to the news in the morning while I am getting the house in order and making breakfast. During break time, I often listen to the 1290 to see what Andy Oudman is talking about. I like to listen to Charles Addler in the afternoon as I work in the house. Then, in the evening after 6 I listen to CBC talk as I am doing wash, sweeping floors and make Ken's lunch. In between there I check email and facebook to see if I have any messages. I do some blogging or check blogs. I am a music girl as well. I need music, I love praising God with my music. I like it nice and loud. I am thinking the neighbours might know some of my songs! (o: So really, its not the content that I thinking about. It is the quantity that isn't right.

I have realized that I am technology and noise dependant. Sitting in a quiet a house drives me crazy. Really, it makes me squirrelly! I should be loving the time this morning to think, pray and read. I am not saying I need to be quiet all the time, but I am thinking that I need to set aside some more self imposed “still time”.

My mom just texted and told me she has 2 batteries. She is going to bring them over when she leaves to go out. Hmmm, now I am wondering if I should put them in the radio.

Are you taking time to be still?

Comments

  1. read an article that Jen Bergsma has linked about Facebook and in it, it said that you can use FB to numb your brain...I totally do that. I escape into the world of FB and shut off all thought and my brain is numb. OUCH. Boundaries are good and they take intention and dependence on God's Holy Spirit (that's me preaching to myself!)
    Mel
    P.S. no wonder my phone isn't tinkling today! lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment