25 years

Today is our 25th wedding anniversary and yesterday was our 26th engagment anniversary. Those are pretty big numbers. That also means that we have been a couple for 29 years this August. It’s hard to believe. We always acknowledge and celebrate our love for each other in a special way on or around our anniversary, but this number seems more significant than usual. Maybe because it’s ¼ of a century. It seems fitting to reflect on the time that has passed and on the Lord’s goodness to us. 

Going back 25 years makes me want to cringe a little bit. I think that our 16 year old is more mature than we were when we got married. But when we smile and think about those 2 young kids, even though we dated for 4 years, we realize how little we really knew about each other, or even ourselves. Truthfully, we had no idea what we were getting into. I wonder what we would have thought if we could have seen even a tiny bit of the path that the Lord would put us on. Natually, there has been an ebb and flow with the seasons and there have been times of choice rather than feelings. But it's been beautiful. There have been lots of hard times and lots of pain -Not so much with our relationship, but with dark providences and circumstances. Through the painful times, our love has been seasoned and tried. Love grown in fire most often becomes strong and beautiful and it's something that we don't take for granted. My marriage is one of my most beautiful gifts from the Lord. I say that in a mature mind way. But also in a sweet, heart way.


On our walk on the beach after we went out for supper at our favorite restaurant, we talked about how beautiful and how thankful we are for our marriage and what the Lord has given to us in each other.  We balance each other out in an amazing way. It comes down to God’s provision and His faithfulness. He has bound two imperfect, sinful individuals together and we continue on the journey of santification together and grow with and because of one another. The Lord knew from the beginning of time that we would be best for each other. I love the thought of that. Sometimes I laugh at the fact that out of this relationship came our 6 kids. When I was young, I was not a big family person and it turns out that I actually am in a big way. The joy I get from my 6, now 7 kids is incredible.I have never loved him or them more. The Lord is so kind. 


So. We are not picture people. At all. I am more comfortable behind the camera. But before we went out for supper, we got Grace to take a few pictures of us. She clicked a lot of pictures and said eww in her mind a few times. Ken won’t let me post the gushy ones. We even took a picture of each other at the restaurant. That is not us at all. Like zero. I’m just going to put them here to commemorate this special day. (:




 



























Comments

  1. Beautifully said! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story and great pictures! Blessings to both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment