I flew and it wasn't anywhere fun.

I have been meaning to sit and write this post for a week. But out of necessity, my kids have been doing the majority of the work in the house and my computer charger got lost in the shuffle 10 days ago. I thought it would be around the corner every day. But it's wasn't. So I had to wait for one from amazon. (:

But first!!!!! My sister in law Lynne came home today. She has been in the hospital for a few months with COVID. My tears haven't stopped all day. What a tender Father we have. I just don't have the words to express our thankfulness. The Lord has heard our prayers and we are so grateful and humbled by His goodness. 

Two weeks ago yesterday I fell. I didn't fall, I flew. It was a home morning for me. I didn't take care of Oma that morning, so we got school done pretty early. The door was locked and I had my pajajma dress on - with pockets. It was one of my favourite kind of mornings.  Since we had so much time, the little girls and I decided to rearrange the livingroom. I love rearraging things. We have a big square livingroom with 2 separate sitting areas. I have changed it around so many times, but I always change it back. We finally got it to feel much cosier. :)

Earlier in the day, I had put a piece of meat on the floor for our cat, Felix. He didn't eat it. It was off to the side, so I just left it. He would get it eventually. At some point, Tessa  poured water on the meat. I noticed it, but didn't tell her to clean it up. I wear birks in the house. I love them, but they are so slippery. You must know where I am going with this. We were super pumped at the change in the livingroom. We were working hard, cleaning, tidying and vacauuming so we could sit in our new and improved livingroom with some satisfaction. I had my hands full with a bucket of water and assorted stuff that had to be put away and I went into the kitchen. With my hands full and walking super quickly, I stepped on the puddle of water and I flew. I didn't have a chance to catch myself. I got drenched. The water from the bucket went up my nose and in my mouth. My breath was taken away. You can laugh for a minute right here, but that's all. Ha! I kind of wish I had it on video. I'm not ready to laugh yet, but it must have been a sight. But I was also screaming; my right leg seized up. I couldn't soften my reaction or hold anything in. It was excruciating. That part was hard on the girls.  I crawled to my bed and tried to find a postion that didn't hurt. If I kept it bent, I just cried, but didn't scream. I got Grace to get me a muscle relaxer and water and my phone. Ken was administering an exam, but I called the office and asked him to call me anyways. I didn't know if I needed an ambulance or if I just needed to lay there until he got home. I was in a daze of pain.  

I laid still for an hour and a half until Ken could get home. I could feel my muscles in my thigh and calf rolled into a ball and they were in spasm. If I moved my leg out of a 90 degree position, it felt like a red hot poker was being dragged through my leg. In the morning we were more able to assess. Nothing was broken. I could stretch it out if I was laying down, really slowly. So we assumed no tendons or ligaments were damaged. But I still couldn't straighten it unless I worked at it.  I was getting concerned by Friday. A friend brought a knee scooter over and that allowed me to get out of the house to the hospital.  All of my major ligaments and tendons were intact and an xray confirmed that there was nothing broken. He concluded that I have a tear in my thigh and calf. I was so thankful that I didn't need surgery and that things would just heal on it's own. I started physio and have gone 3 times already. I also have a massage therapist coming to my house to help release my muscles. 

Tessa was so concerned. She knew she put water on the floor. I thought not saying anything was the best route, but I was wrong. But she cried and was unsettled for days. She told me that this was the worst day ever for 3 days in a row. I felt awful for her. She finally asked me if I was going to punch whomever put water on the floor in the face. That startled me. I am not in the habit of punching anyone in the face. But it was her way of saying - How mad are you at the person who put water on the floor? I told her that I knew it was her and that I'm not angry. Mistakes happen. Her shoulders fell after that and she settled in a bit. She cared for me in a funny way. At first getting off the couch hurt like crazy. I would have to crawl to the stairs and down and get on my roley to go into the kitchen. I would hear her say - Oh boy. This is not going to be good. Everyone be quiet, Mom is crawling. It makes me laugh writing it. She is a funny and knows me so well. I prefer quiet when I'm hurting.  

The first week was tough. It felt a bit dark. I could only sit. I only crawled when I had to. The pain was intense even with the pain meds I got from the hospital. But going into the second week, my pain was less, I was stronger and had figured out how to do things without pain and with keeping my leg at a 90 degree angle at all times. At the end of last week things were starting to release and heal. I was stretching often and started practicing standing up at the counter and getting it so that my foot could sit flat on ground. On Monday, I started to be able to rock side to side and forward and backwards. There is pain, but not searing. Today is day 15 and I took at few steps holding onto a chair with one hand and my other hand held my roley. I cried and cried. It was such a relief. I have to strengthen my leg because it feels like it's half asleep all the time. My confidence is low because it feels like it's gong to buckle. I am still resting alot and take pain pills at night. I don't sleep super well at night, so I am going to back to bed about an hour after I get up to get a bit more sleep. I also nap in the afternoon. I am just so exhausted. But I do see the end now. That is so exciting. It's good for my brain to make some progress. 

This is very small in the big. No one is going to die. I am home and the rest of my body is functional. But it's been very big in the small. I have not been able to do anything really. I can't care for Oma. My family has to do everything. Ken has to do all the driving to appointments and get the kids to work. The kids are doing all the house stuff. We are all working together for cooking. I have taken for granted being mobile. But actually, walking, driving and working is a gift. Lots of days, I feel like I run around like a crazy person homeschooling, being a carer for Oma and taking of the house. Now I can't wait for a full, busy, active day. These few weeks have also made me more understanding of people who struggle with pain and mobility. 

So there is my story. I didn't fly anywhere fun, but I'm learning lots and I can see the end. (:  


Comments