Strange Times

  Port Bruce
We find ourselves in strange times. Ken has wanted me to journal these days so that we can look back and remember, but I haven't had the brain space. We have 8 people home the majority of the time. It's going remarkably well considering we have a very small house and it's not meant to house this many people all at the same time, all the time!

I am used to having 3 kids home all day every day. Schooling my littles hasn't changed. But for Natalie and Micah, like the rest of the Christian schools, they are learning at home. We are so thankful that the kids can continue their courses. It would be pretty tough if the kids didn't get credits, especially Micah since he is in grade 12. The adjustment is pretty steep for the teachers as well as the kids. It will all iron out. Everyone needs extra grace. (:

I am thankful that our lives are relatively stable. Ken still has a job. All of my school kids are still learning. Josh is temporarily out of work, but that will right itself in time. I feel for the families who have 1 or 2 parents out of work and are struggling to make ends meet. Even though I very much support the government and think it’s wise to shut things down, I am sad for the businesses that are not deemed essential services - The ones that have worked so hard to be successful and to get where they are and the ones that are just at the beginning of their business venture. Who knows what this will look like for them. They could lose something they worked so hard for. That is a very hard reality.

My heart is aching for those who have lost or will lose loved ones. The thought of people dying alone hurts my heart. For them, this time won't be remembered as the days that we all had to stay home or the time that the kids didn't go to school. It won't be the time that they lost thousands in revenue from their business. It will be the time that they lost someone they loved and to make it even harder, goodbyes were most likely not done in person. I can't even imagine. My heart longs to go to the hospital and sit with people. I couldn't because I have a Micah and because they simply wouldn't let me. But the desire is so strong for me.

I find myself near tears a lot, especially when I am driving down our main street or on Sunday morning. I cry not because I am scared. I'm not. Things may seem uncertain, but I am confident. God is King. He is still on His throne and that will never change. Our lives and times are in His hands and so is the economy. Despite the hard and the sad, we can lean into the truth that He is faithful. Always faithful. Trustworthy. Dependable. I think I cry because in someway I am grieving. Everything just stopped - school, volleyball, baseball conditioning,  catechism, youth group, junior life guard, homeschool co-op etc. We miss fellowship with others. Church. I miss church so much.  I long to be with my people and worship together. Online is a privilege, but it's not the same as sitting shoulder to shoulder. That will be one sweet day when we are back together.


    Port Stanley
We do a lot of driving to get out. We are water people, so we often drive to the lake. The pictures in this post are my favourites from Sunday. They are totally unedited. It was that beautiful.  When we go places, like the beach, we will get out and walk if there aren't a lot of people. We keep our distance from others. People often look at the 7 of us and wonder why we aren't social distancing. I watch them looking at all the kids and then they look at us. They usually figure out that we are a family, but they give us a wide berth. On one of our walks by the harbor, I saw a few couples turn around so they didn't have to pass us even though there was a huge amount of space. I get it. Sometimes I look at families walking by and count their kids because they look like they have a 15, but it's actually only 6 like us. (wink)  On Sunday afternoon, the wind was gusty and the sun kept peaking through the clouds teasing me. The wind was freezing and so fierce that we could hardly talk to each other at points. But the majesty of God in the wind and the waves was breath taking. It brings tears to my eyes just writing about it. The God who controls the wind and the waves, is the same God who has known me from the beginning of time, who is in control right now and who cares for me more than I can begin to understand. So incomprehensible. So beautiful.

    Port Stanley

Comments

Post a Comment