PSA for today

Last Friday Ken took Micah, Natalie, Josiah, and Grace camping for a weeeeeek. He decided to do this last January. He is so amazing with the kids. I am so blessed in so many ways with and by Ken. They love to rough it. We all miss each other, but I think it's good for everyone. Ken is so fun and it's a different feel without mom there. Ken loves to drive away and be away, so it's great for him. It's his happy place. It's good for me because I crave quiet. I get filled up with alone time. I am an introvert to the max. Tessa loves time alone with me as well. I have been looking forward to this FOR MONTHS! I had plans to plan my school year, go through clothes, cupboards and toys, clean my cupboards, fill some holes in the wall and paint over them, clean carpets, clean a stinky fridge that is in our garage so I can bring it in the house (exciting prospect), clean baseboards and walls. I was prepared to tear this place apart and work 12 hour days on my schedule. That is my happy place! (:

But I am so sick. I have been sick since last Thursday. I am fighting disappointment that my time alone has been spent shivering with fever, groaning in pain, trying to get water down my swollen esophagus, sleeping and trying to figure out how to make my mouth calmer.  I have to keep perspective. This will end at some point. I am thankful that I do have quiet to work through this and that Tessa is being a good girl. It would be much harder being this sick with a loud house. I am thankful I went back to the doctor and didn't wait it out for the antibiotics to kick in and an organized clean house is overrated? Ha! I am making that last part up. Organized and clean takes a burden off of my shoulders. It's how I operate. It will get there at some point and if it doesn't, everything will still be ok.

But here is my PSA.

I went into the walk-in clinic on Friday night and was diagnosed with a different form of hand foot mouth then we typically see. I got some antibiotics because my gums are so swollen and sore that it feels like someone is stabbing them with a knife.  I am not exaggerating. It looks like I haven't brushed my gums in 2 years and that my teeth should be ready to fall out.

Since Friday night things have steadily gotten worse. I am still struggling with a fever, my glands are hard swollen rocks in my neck, my chest and throat hurt, my mouth is full of sores and now I can't hardly drink water.  I went to my family doc this morning and I DON'T have hfm. I have a bacterial infection from a dentist appt. Since the doc at the walk-in clinic gave me plain old ammox for mouth issues, I also now have a fungal infection that goes down my throat and down into my esophagus. That's why I can't swallow. It feels like there is a piece of bread in my throat. I need to be gracious to that original doctor. Struggling with that a little. He didn’t listen to me and thought I was a crazy person. Docs are human and make mistakes, but he misdiagnosed and gave me the wrong meds even if his diagnosis was correct. He gave extra problems and delayed fixing the first problem. Still, I must be gracious.

I am thankful for our Dr. Bezuidenhout. The doctor who delivered me just retired -41 years with the same doctor is quite a long time. It took a few appointments to get to know Dr. B.  He is to the point and very business like. I appreciate it. I would gladly skip, "How are the kids?" for his amazing brains and efficiency.  I love how he has handled things for us and it didn't take me long at all to trust him. My doctor is important to me. Just so you know ... I would win the: My doctor is smarter than yours contest in a heartbeat! I also think I should get the award for probably being one of his only patients who can spell and could pronounce his name off the bat. It's South African and the Dutch roots are super evident! (:

So, this is not a feel sorry for Belinda post. I am telling you this because the doc said that sometimes  the bacteria in your mouth gets all swished up when you get a cleaning and during that process, you can get an infection. I thought they were cleaning the bacteria out. At my appointment, I got a gold star for my flossing and brushing. They said that my gums looked amazing. So it's not that mouth was especially dirty. He said that maybe my immune system was a little low that day. I wonder if it's possible that their tools may have been dirty? Whatever the case, if within a week of a dentist appointment your gums start to feel itchy and start swelling, then your teeth get sore, then you get a fever... Don't wait. Get it checked out. Also, ask some questions if you ever get prescribed ammox for your mouth.  I would rather go through labor than this. Seriously.

I thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else ever encounters it. Be on guard people!

Since I am sick, I get a pass from the grammar police today! (:

Comments