The Greenest Grass

Walking back from the mailbox, the wind was whistling and the trees were swaying and I felt like I was at the ocean. Since I am a water girl, it was dreamy. I just closed my eyes and breathed deeply. It was like medicine. I felt completely content in the moment. But I did more than enjoy the beauty. It made me look up and I saw this.


But I didn't just see the trees or squint my eyes against the sun or feel the cool breeze on my face, I saw who God is. His kindness. His grace. His beauty. His power. His love for me. His sovereignty and His faithfulness. In the busy, I tend to put my head down literally and figuratively and just do it. I don't have the brain space or the physical energy to pour into other people or things like my heart longs to do and I get bogged down and forget to really look up and see.

Do you ever wish things were different? Sometimes it's easy to get caught in a pattern of waiting for our next stage of life or for our circumstances to change....

Fewer burdens. Less sin. A husband/wife. A different/better husband/wife. More kids. Fewer kids. Older kids. Younger kids. More money. More space. Less space -lonely. Not tied down. More travel. Less responsibilities,  Direction from the Lord to move on. A bigger house/better location/bigger yard. A job. A different job. More friends. Deeper relationships.......... And round and round we could go.

I have been reminded that this is life. Life is not the next thing or the next place. We need to dig in right where He has put us and be faithful. Our life (your life) at the moment is exactly what it's supposed to be. He is so good to us no matter what obstacles, struggles or pain have come our way. It doesn't mean that it's easy. Sometimes it's so painful and life can get so messy. But His promises are sure.

Last week the pastor preached on contentment, it fit with my thinking and this post.  Lots of things resonated with me, but the one thing that keeps swinging through my mind from that sermon is that "the grass is the greenest right where you are. If it were greener somewhere else for you, the Lord would put you there."  Perfect.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Your comment about looking up reminded me that I read Psalm 19: 1-2 the other day. "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge." "Looking up" is an awesome way to meet with God!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment