6 Years Out...

It's been 6 years since Micah relapsed. That day and the months following were days that we clung to the Lord in a way that I am not sure how to describe. It was also a time that the Lord drew near to us in a way that I sometimes long for.  When I think of Dec 7, 2009- March 2010 (and even into that next year), I think of it as a time that is set apart. In a way it was a time that our world stopped.

I remembered that this day was coming this past Saturday and have been thinking about writing this post. Over the past days I have gone through my binder and read the emails I had sent out at that time to all of our pray-ers and it brought it back to me. It was not a time of sadness for me. Just a time of remembering. This morning when I was on facebook, my 'facebook memories' came up and a post that I had shared one year past Micah's relapse came up. I am going to share that one today.

We are definitely through the storm and the sadness and darkness are far behind us. We don't forget what happened, and we know the reality is that the cancer could come back, but we don't sit and wait for it anymore. The Lord has healed our hearts and almost all of the cracks are closed. We also have an even greater confidence in the Lord and His ways. We trust His faithfulness and care like no other. No matter the future in regards to any part of our lives, He will be there and has prepared those circumstances for us and for His purpose. That doesn't take away hardships, uncertainty, pain or suffering, but it is a wonderful comfort.

At the end of  the post below, I was so in awe of making it 1 year with Micah still healthy. I think the docs were just as surprised and continue to be surprised. I was thrilled beyond measure that Micah had gotten to know Grace for 6 months and that we had memories of them together. Now look where we are.... Josh is finishing up high school and starting to make plans for the future. Micah is turning 14 in a month exactly today. We are living in Grand Rapids and Ken has had the privilege of studying for the last 3 years. We are expectantly looking forward to where the Lord will place us in the coming year. The Lord willing, we have another sweet child coming to us in 4 months. The Lord has continued to grow us, mold us and has given us a longing to be more like Him. We praise the Lord and seek to live a life of gratitude first for the gift of eternal life and the work He does in our lives, but also for how He has kept our family in so many ways. It's beautiful.

Please do thank the Lord with us today as we remember what He has done and continues to do.  


Through the ,Storm A Year Later 

(Written December 7, 2010)
Anniversaries have become a big thing for us. We have always remembered birthdays and wedding anniversaries of course. We remember the month Ken and I started dating, (Aug 1993 - That is a long time to have a boyfriend! I love him a million times more than that day.... Just in case you wanted to know (: ) and various other days that are special to us. But now we have many anniversaries that we remember that involve Micah. There are some good ones, like Sept 2008, when we got the first scan that showed no cancer since he was diagnosed in Nov of 2007. In Feb 2009, he was officially done treatment. In June 2009, he was able to go completely off steroids. There are more good ones, but there are also many sad ones.  DECEMBER 7, 2009 is a day that will forever be imprinted in our minds. It was relapse day.

That Monday, the 7th, Micah went down for a chest XRAY. I always stand with the tech behind the wall and look at the computer screen. When I saw that image come up, I just knew. I saw the tumor. I stopped breathing for a moment, then felt warmness spread over my body and then carried on like I never saw anything. The only way I can explain it is God. He allowed me to put it in the back of my mind so I could just chat with Micah and go back to Art Therapy to do some crafts. It wasn't until the Doc called me into a room that things started spinning.  She told me there was a recurrence and that it didn't look good. She also said that she was concerned about his brain because his eyes didn't look quite right. I was so conflicted. I needed to deal with how I was feeling, which would have involved sobbing on the floor, but I needed to take care of Micah and get us home too. I chose to take few minutes to pray in that room by myself.  It was a screaming -pleading- begging prayer, with very few actual words. Then I went to Art therapy to get Micah. While he finished up his craft, I called my sister in law Aileen and asked her to cancel Josiah's speech therapy and my mid wife appointment that I had scheduled for that afternoon. She also called Ken at school, so he could meet me at home. God made it possible for me to get to Aileen's house, where my kids were, without even letting Micah know what was going on. I dropped Micah off and went home. After Ken and I had a little time together, Pastor John came to be with us. It was a long hard afternoon. Before picking up the kids, I made some phone calls to the family and close friends. Once the kids were home we put Natalie and Josiah to bed and we sat on the couch and told  Josh and Micah that the cancer was back. It is not possible to explain the pain of that night and the sorrow we felt. Not only were Ken and I hurting like no other, but we ached for the kids. My  Josh was hurting so badly. He wanted to be the strong big brother, but didn't know how to. Sometimes he puts expectations on himself that are too high.  At his age, he is on the edge of being a big boy, but is still so little. I will never forget Micah's eyes that night. We saw raw pain.  It was like nothing we had seen before. All Ken and I wanted to do was fix it. We could pray and hug, but it didn't make it go away.

So on December 7, 2009, the second leg of our journey began. The last year has been one of despair and darkness, growing and blessing.

In the last year we have had many "lasts". We didn't think we had a lot of time. It was never said out loud, but was only communicated by Ken and I when we would  look in each others eyes on those days. So in our minds, Micah had a last birthday, a last setting up of the Christmas tree, the last family dinner with the Pennings family, the last mother's and father's day, the last family vacation.......Our life was full of those days.

Making memories to me was like a job. There were times that I would panic because I was scared that I would miss something. I didn't want any regrets. So I took pictures and video every day of everything. Our nurse, Lisa, who works with families in our situation, did a 3D mold of  Micah's hand. It is perfection. When I brought that home, I protected it like it was worth 3 million dollars. It was priceless to me, almost to the point of making me crazy. It wasn't good.  Many times I missed the events because I was too busy documenting it for later. I was focused on trying to somehow keep pieces of Micah here. I wanted to catch every mannerism and facial expression. I needed his laugh and his chewed up fingernails. I needed to see him playing with the kids. I needed to catch him cuddling with Grace and loving her. I needed to catch his face when Grace melted his heart with her smile or touch.  I needed to catch him wet and full of mud. I needed to catch him playing baseball with all of his might. I needed the sound of his voice talking and singing. I needed him to tell me the things he loves and the things that he was worried about. I needed to know everything about him.  If I couldn't touch him again here on earth, I needed to be able to see him so clearly in pictures and video that I would be able to almost feel him.

After Micah finished treatment the first time, life went back to normal pretty quickly. We emerged from that storm better and stronger.  It was exhausting in every way. Micah endured so much pain  physically and emotionally. But we were spared the fear of Micah's death.  Each scan that came back was better than the one before. Except for a few times in his treatment it seemed like we were always going in the right direction. We were also very naive and I don't think I asked enough questions. But not being as informed as we could have been, was a blessing. We couldn't have handled anymore information. But this time it was different. I think one aspect that was so different is that Micah knew that he could die and that the treatment may not work. Last time through treatment he was so much younger and had no idea really what was going on. He didn't understand the ramifications of cancer at all. This time we had to be very honest with him and Josh at all times. They knew right away when something was wrong. We couldn't hide anything. When the tumor kept growing every scan, we had to sit with them and tell them the facts. It was a roller coaster for them as well. They hurt so much. Even though Micah had the comfort of Jesus and heaven,  he carried the burden of wondering when he was going to do die. It was so heavy. He still is at times weighed down with wondering when/if the cancer will come back.

We still have our moments of panic and fear. We are constantly looking for signs of cancer.  We have our days of sadness and even weeks that we feel so low that we would like to take a break from life. But those weeks are becoming days and those days are becoming hours and the hours becoming moments. But as I write this on December 7, 2010, I think for the first time in a year we are starting to feel like we are through the storm. Thank the Lord. We still have rain, but the thunder, wind and lightning are gone and the sun usually shines through the clouds on those rainy days.

God has given us the miracle that we all so desperately prayed for. It has been a year! We didn't think we would make it until last June. I would have been so happy to make it until September. Now it's December and as far as we know, he is cancer free. I never doubted God, but at times I am shocked that Micah is still here with us. God has taught us so much. We have been reminded again to depend on Him for everything, even at times our very next breath. We have seen that His timing is always perfect. God has used our story to touch others and to even bring them closer to Christ. He has showed us what is important and what is not. He has taught us again that without His strength, we are not  able to stand. We have learned that our great God is good all the time. He is even good when you have times that life hurts so much that every day you beg Jesus to come back. Our kids have learned lessons that can only be learned by experiencing them. We have learned to thank him for every morning that we wake up a healthy family of 7.

So as we start a new year, please pray with us that God's will is that our Micah stays healthy and that if he doesn't stay healthy that God will help us to trust.

Thank you for staying with us all these years. Your prayers, friendship, love and support has meant so much to us.

In Christ Alone,
Ken and Belinda




Comments