The leaves are falling and the change of season is so refreshing. My little baby is now 21 weeks and I am just starting to feel some kicks and twirls and I just love that. I haven't been pregnant for quite some time and when I would see expecting ladies in the last years, it made me long to feel a baby kick just one more time. My longing has been fulfilled. I think as a woman, I may long for that feeling even when I am old. It just is. (:

I had an ultrasound in Canada last Monday and we took 4 of the kids. Natalie was counting down the weeks for 10 weeks. Grace counted down the last 5 days. Last Friday morning she came to me in a high pitched, fevered voice. "3 MORE DAYS until we see the baby and I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!" My ultrasound was beautiful. The kids were just amazed and were tickled that we could find out what we are having. (It's a family secret. (wink). The older I get, the more of a miracle life is.

The ultrasound date was Nov 9. That morning it dawned on me that it was the 8th anniversary of the day that Micah had an ultrasound that told us that he had a mass in his abdomen. We didn't know what the mass was, but we knew it wasn't good. Contrast these two days... On November 9, 2007, we were fearing death. On November 9. 2015, we were anticipating seeing new life. We are often reminded that the Lord has given us gifts that are beyond measure. But it was a special day for us as celebrated our baby's new life and we remembered where the Lord has taken us in the last 8 years.

Look at our sweetie.


Our little 5 year old Grace is getting to be such a big girl. She is loving her classes at the Homeschool Building and is thriving in her school at home. She is getting so independent. It's fun to watch her. She seemed to take a long time to get big, partly because her speech is a little slower and also because she is the baby of the family. I didn't push her to grow up like the others. She didn't have to. There was no baby after her to make her hurry up. So she is growing up just in time. (:

She has started to ask a lot of questions:
  • "How did God make day and night on the first day when the sun, moon and stars weren't made until the 4rth day?" Seriously! That is good question. It made me laugh that I haven't thought about that. 
  • "What state do Gramma and Grampa live in?" (She is our little American)
  •             They live in Ontario. It's a province.
                "What's a province?"
                It's like a state.
                "Ohh k"
  • She is quite interested in the Trinity.... "I know there are 3 part of 1 God. But that is just crazy - 3 PARTS IN ONE!" Her brain is twirling over it. 
  • She told me she would like to be a boy so she could be a Toronto Blue Jay, but is glad that she is a girl so she can be beau-di-ful. 
  • Her baby names are: Girl: Sarah Scout Junior Pennings   Boy: Captain Cools Pennings (For real)
  • Just now, she came asked me how we get sick. She just needs to know! (:
We are thoroughly enjoying our girl. She is a thinker, she loves to learn and her heart is so sensitive in so many ways. It's a pleasure to be her mom.

A friend was talking about going on a trip for their 20 year anniversary the other day and it hit me that we are only a year and a half from that milestone. I remember so clearly standing on those tracks in Shedden, a girl of almost 17, way back in 1993, listening to Ken tell me that he was going to marry me. He was one week away from going to college.That day in August we started our journey together. We were young, determined and thought we knew everything. Right! (:

I think back to where the Lord has led. Like all marriages, we have had different seasons. But if I had to put it into a song, it's been a love song, that has gotten more beautiful with time. A seasoned relationship deepens in a way that we would have never suspected 22 years ago. It's all grace and I am thankful for that grace.

I am reading an amazing book - Experiencing the Trinity by Joe Thorn. I don't do well with 'thick and heavy' reading. I love reading practical everyday books that help me keep my focus on who God is and how we can live a life of thankfulness to Him. This book is small and the meditations are only 1-2 pages and I am loving it. 

I thought I might as well copy from Amazon. It's much easier than writing out my own words! (: 

"For Christians, there is only one simple yet profound answer: turn to the triune God. Born out of 
lessons learned during one of the most spiritually challenging periods of his life, Experiencing the Trinity by pastor Joe Thorn contains 50 down-to-earth meditations on God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Overflowing with scriptural truth, pastoral wisdom, and personal honesty, this book reflects on common experiences of doubt, fear, and temptation—pointing readers to the grace that God provides and the strength that he promises."

“Here’s gospel gold emerging from the furnace of affliction. Truth that’s been lived becomes life giving as Joe comforts others with the comfort with which he has been comforted by God. I hope and pray that these beautiful meditations will do you as much good as they did me.”
David P. Murray, Professor of Old Testament, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary; pastor, Grand Rapids Free Reformed Church, Grand Rapids, Michigan; author, Jesus on Every Page and The Happy Christian

Even if you are not in a time of trial, these meditation are beautiful, accessible and just so encouraging. I know all of the theology, but being reminded of these simple truths has done so much for me. 

If I could, I would buy 25 of them and give them away. I can't, so you will have to get your own! (: While you are at it, buy his other one too. It's called Note to Self and has the same format. These books are a delight! Just so you know! (:









Comments