Labor Day is MY January 1.

Since I started Kindergarten, I have lived on the school calendar. When I was done high school, I lived by Ken's university schedule. Then once Ken was done University and we got married, he started teaching. Now that he is done teaching, he has become a student. I suppose it's also because I have had kids that have been school age for 12 years too! (:

September signals back to school, new routines, new habits and simply a fresh start. A fresh start to me is like smelling crayons in the box. Delightful! Did you just read that last sentence and say, "What?" I know, I am a little cray cray for crayons! (:

We did a little school throughout the summer. I just wanted them to keep their core fresh. We have done about 30 lessons in math and reading.  It's a great head start that didn't take much effort and we have eliminated the days of trying to recapture what they forgot over the summer. I have always wanted to do it, but it just never happened. It finally happened and it was so worth it!!

BUT today is an extra special exciting school day in our house. It's the first day of the Home School Building. The kids went last year, but only for one class. We loved it! So this year they are all taking a bunch of classes.

Micah  -writing, grammar, science, p.e. and choir on Wednesday mornings
Natalie - art, science and geography
Siah - science, geography and writing

I am particularly excited about the grammar and writing classes. They are using great curriculum and I have heard great things about the teachers. I love that the kids are in a classroom environment with experienced teachers. I don't need to wonder if they know what they are talking about. Valuable.


I smiled all morning as we got backpacks packed, lunches made and good clothes on. I wrote their schedules on index cards so they would know what is when and where. We went early so we could see where all of their classes were so Natalie and Siah could feel a little more confident. Seeing them sitting in their classes made me so thankful. I love homeschooling and I know it's the right thing for our family. But adding these classes really balances out their education and we get the best of both worlds. (For the record - In my opinion schooling and homeschooling both have positives and negatives. It's about being faithful in what the Lord calls you to do and what is best for your family and children.)

We are jean people. It sure was hard for me to find pants that weren't jeans or dress pants.  They also aren't allowed to wear shirts that have writing on them. It's good that they have a dress code. (:

All ready for a mom day. She calls that undershirt her mom shirt bc I always wear them! (: 

I am so thrilled for the opportunity to enhance their education, BUT I laughed SO HARD when I drove into the driveway after I brought them. The laughter just fell out. It's good for them, but there is no question that it will balance me out as well by giving me from 10-2:45 every Friday to clean my house, organize next weeks' school, maybe do some writing and have time for some special school things with Grace. I have never had anything like that. Winsa-winsa, I would say! (:

Here are some pics from the last bit. I need to keep up! (:

I just realized that I can use my window as a white board. Hurray for me! (:



Aunt Jen gave Grace a tu-tu and butterfly wings at church a few Sundays ago. Her daughter is starting to sell these and she did a fabulous job on it! Grace was beyond thrilled. If you need a fun tu-tu, let me know! (:


Here is a picture of the kids and their friends from down the street. They are a blessing to us. They play wiffle ball in the backyard for HOURS at a time, ride bikes and sometimes play inside. They even throw acorns at a nasty squirrel we have! It reminds me of playing on my street when I was little. They are all ages and get along so well. There is a rarely a disagreement and when there is one, it is usually about whether someone is out or not when they are playing ball. (: When the kids are bigger and we have moved away, I know this picture will bring back great memories.



We have a little oasis about 5 minutes from our house. There is a creek or a 'freek' as Grace pronounces it. We go there often. At first I thought it was red-neck to swim in this creek. I am not sure why. Now I don't care. (: It's so neat because it's smack in the middle of the city and you would never know. Over the trees on the right side of the picture is Home Depot and Walmart. For real. It's awesome!! When it rains it gets really deep and the current is strong. It's so strong that I make the 3 middle kids wear a life jacket. When it rains here, the first thing they think about is whether or not we got enough rain for the freek to swell! (:  A draw back is that when the water is very still and they stand around the sides there is the possibility of getting a leach. Even Grace knows what a 'blood sucker' is! I guess another draw back is I have to wash a lot of stinky bathing suits! (;

My mom brought Josh home from Canada and stayed a night. It was nice to share our creek with her. She was as amazed as we were! (:





The kids enjoy tubing down the little rapids. This is one of the kids' friends. He is so cute and makes me smile.














 Fun eh? (:


Comments

  1. I loved this post! Thanks for the glimpse into your life again:) I loved your excitement about the kids getting to go to school for a day. What a great program and I can see why you are excited! Loved the creek pictures too. That is pretty neat. Also have to comment that the picture of the Micah, Josiah, and Natalie with their back packs . . . Micah looks a LOT like Ken!! I've never noticed this before, and thought most of the kids took mostly after you, but it really jumped out at me how much he looks like Ken in that picture:) Hopefully we'll get to read a post every Friday now that you have all that spare time;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SOO get it Belinda! I am a September New Year person too! I LOVE crayon smell and erasers send me right over the edge!
    The lake we swam in as kids had blood suckers too; SO nasty. I still shudder just remembering them!
    Thanks for update! It's so good to keep up with you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment