An Empty Life...

I wrote the post below on Tuesday morning. My heart felt somewhat  burdened, yet excited at the opportunity the Lord was putting in my path.

Six kids and some prayer....

We have some neighbor kids. Six of them in one house. The oldest is Josh's age and I think the youngest is about Natalie's age. There is a set of 4 siblings and then a set of 2. There are five adults in the house as well. Two 'couples' and one extra.  This house is about the size of our main floor with a basement. There can't be more than 3 bedrooms in there.

The kids are kind and so well mannered. My kids love playing with them. They are starting to get comfortable here and I am thankful.

These families move around a lot. There is no stability. The adults have jobs and are in and out, but that leaves little time for the kids. The kids just seem to hang around. They have no bikes or outside toys. No markers or coloring books. They kind of just exist.

They stay up as long as they want and sometimes sleep until 3 pm. When Siah was taking a nap one day, one of the kids asked where he was. Micah said he was sleeping. Leah said, "Oh! He didn't get up yet." That is perfectly normal.

Two of the kids get screamed at and swatted in the back of the head. To watch it first hand hurts my heart. Sometimes I can almost justify going over there and pounding that lady with my words and fist, but I know that is my sinful heart wanting my own kind of justice.

I am not naturally a person who would enjoy tons kids from the neighborhood in my backyard, let alone them being here until 9:30 at night. But the Lord has opened my heart and taken away those selfish reasons. Now I can't wait for them to get up and I hope they come here. For the last year, we have lamented that we don't have a fence in between us and the neighbors. Their driveway is right up to our grass where our kids play and we sit. I have a feeling though, that if there was a fence, the kids would never have gotten together. So I will thank the Lord there is no fence! (:

This is not a project or something to do to make myself feel better. I love these kids and want to show them. I long to tell them about my Saviour. I want to feed them our last cookies and lunch if they need it. I am learning a way to a kids heart is sometimes food. Bring it! (:

Before I ask, I understand that everyone won't do this. Even if  one person would, I would be thankful. I have learned in the last while that prayer is a commitment and as much as we want to pray for every single need we know of, we can't. If I prayed for everyone I wanted to, I would be on my knees all day long.

If you can or even if you remember occasionally, could you please pray that we are a shining light to these kids and that they don't see us, but that they see Jesus? I want their parents to feel comfortable enough to let them eat lunch at my house, even if it's outside in the yard. I don't want the parents to feel threatened because they see something different here. I need to be wise and go slow. When I see something that needs to be done and want to do it, I can be pushy and tend to just take control and do it. It's a weakness. I need to love the parents as well as the kids and not come across as having it all together. We don't. It's so easy to do that when things are a mess somewhere. Do you know?I would love to convince the parents to let the kids come to Cadets and Gems across the street with my kids. It would be fun and so good for the kids.

Thanks for listening to what is on my heart today.

Well Tuesday afternoon, the old man and his wife that originally were in that house came back. I am not actually sure who owns the house. It's confusing. The police were here and we watched as the family with 2 kids, packed everything they own and put it all into the trunk of their car, leaving the skipping rope, a hool-a-hoop and the bikes we gave them behind, to go live in a motel. We saw the single guy just with a backpack and a grocery bag walk away down the street. Then the mom of the 4 kids zoomed in and we watched them pack all they have into the trunk of their car. As they were packing, the littlest one, Payten, who is Nads age, was bouncing the basketball on the driveway and doing pretend plays, as if there were not 3 cops standing five feet away.

They are all gone.

On to the next place.

It has left an empty spot for us.

My kids were somewhat intrieged by the police and the yelling. But it's hard for them to understand. Natalie is heart broken that her playmates are gone. The other kids didn't show it as much, but they were sad too.

Imagine living the life of those kids? Here one month, there the next. Only having enough stuff to fit in the trunk of the car? Not feeling loved or clean? Uncertain about everything? They seem to have no purpose and are just lost. What a hard life! I know that this is not crazy abnormal. We just have never seen it this way. It makes me thankful to God for the many blessing He has given us.

So instead of praying that we would be a light to those kids, please pray for the many children who have no real home or parents that invest emotionally in them.  Pray that the Lord will send people into their lives that  will show them the love of Christ, care for their physical needs and give them direction and stability.

Comments

  1. Oh man, break my heart.
    I so get it - VBS is a good eye opener for me. We are so blessed and sheltered in our church, christian school, and family. Some of these kids have no stability, no guidance, and no support. It's not often we see it up close and personal. I picked one child to pray for from our group this year. There are lots of children that need the prayers, but you're right - I will never remember to pray for them all. So this year I chose one, and try to pray for him nightly. I include all the kids from VBS, but specifically 1 boy.
    And who knows what is in store for that house - perhaps there will soon be new hearts and mouths to feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding this to my prayer journal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment