Yep, we are home!

So we are here.


As in here in Grand Rapids.

We have been here for about 76 hours.

We are getting settled rather quickly. My livingrooom, diningroom, and kitchen are pretty much tidy and settled.Our bedrooms are only half settled and the garage and and downstairs look like a bomb went off! (o; I will sacrifice areas that I don't need to look at for tidy in our living areas.

I have to say one more thing before I tell my story. Ken and I have never felt more at home in a house so quickly in all our life. We walk around in here like this house was made for us. This house is naturally homey and comfy. When you add our furniture and people it is just so delightful. Seriously. 

OK. It all started Wednesday with getting the truck. Ken and I left at 10:30ish for Port Huron. We got a 26 footer.

That night all the brothers, some of the sisters and many of the kids, came over to load. It didn't go so well from my perspective. I maybe wasn't as ready as I should have been and we had too much stuff for that little truck. By the end, there was a lot of left over furniture on the lawn. So Brian went to his house and picked up his flat bed trailer, loaded it all up and brought it to Brad's shed. I was sad. I would have liked to have all of our things. We are missing a desk, all the outdoor stuff, Micah's bookshelves and random things that are Ken's that I hope we never get back! haha. Ask our movers at both ends: Ken has as much stuff as the six of us combined. For real.

I am a little sad that I don't have pictures of the big load. I was too overwhelmed and trying not to cry out of frustration, sadness and overwhelmedness. The boys were so gentle and so understanding. I had brothers taking a tote with me through the house gather up stuff that I wanted to shove in holes. I wish I could explain how sweet they are.

I think the next day was equaling as challenging. After the big load my house was TRASHED, from one end to another. I had so many odds and ends not put in a place. So my sister Tori and my sister in law Aileen came for the whole day and it was crazy. We looked at it all and didn't know where to start. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I don't think we will ever forget that day.

Thursday was also lawyer day for our house sale. We also went and got a 12 ft, U-Haul covered trailer for the truck to pull. We still have a ton of stuff at Brad's though.

Instead of sleeping in our house one last night, we loaded everything up Thursday night and slept at my parents, that way things would be smoother in the morning.

On Thursday night, we went to Ken's parents for supper. It was nice to spend time with them. It was also nice to eat something that wasn't pizza! It had been a long week! (o:  Dan and Mel also stopped in with the girls to say good bye. It was the first time that I really let myself feel. I had been on auto pilot for the last days, too busy to see anything but work. Mel bought me a beautiful picture and Mia gave Natalie a necklace. It's sad these pics didn't turn out so well! )o:




A fun story about the necklace..... Nads took it off to go in the hot tub before bed on Th. night. I put it on the table with her hair stuff. Well, in the morning I couldn't find any of it and I forgot to keep looking. After we left I realized I forgot to keep looking and we were almost to the 401 on HWY 4. I actually turned around and went back to look for it. I felt so horrible that I couldn't find it and it put us half an hour behind. My heart was hurting for Nads. I was going to ask Mel where she got it, so I could buy Nads a new one. It was already so special to her. While we were unpacking later Friday night, Ken found the necklace on the floor by the kitchen. I have no idea how it got here, but that is pretty amazing and I was so thankful! (o:

Aunt Bertha and Uncle Fred stopped in on Friday morning just as we were getting ready to leave. After we chatted with them and had hugs, we went back into our house and took a few pictures. Then we all stood there and cried and cried. It was hard to leave. One last picture....Sad, but real.





The thing that helped me is when Ken told me to look ahead at the big picture, at where we are going and why we were going. It made my perspective change. We drove in the church parking lot by home just to check out how the truck drove with the trailer attached. I got out of the van to watch to see if everything looked good.  I will always remember that moment my chin pulled up and we squeezed each others hands, as I stood  just below the window of the moving truck in the church parking lot.  It is something that will always be imprinted in my mind. 

The drive was uneventful. We got to the border with our list of what was in our boxes and a general list of what was in our truck. We both went into the truck lane because, well, we were in a truck. It was the wrong move. I went first because I had all the paper work. As I drove up to the boothy, I was looking for the guy and he yelled, "I am UP HERE!". My stomach sank and I kind of wanted to throw up. I got out and explained what we were doing. I know he wanted to yell at us, but he bit his tongue and took our paper work and then sent us on to the office. DREAD in the pit of stomach is what I felt. I was still trusting. Everything is for God's purpose. I was praying it would go smoothly and if it didn't, I prayed that I would be still be a light and not cry like a baby! (O: We waited with out paper work and got to a guy. He kind of looked like my brother. A little burly and gruff. But like my brother, he was just a big softy. We explained our purpose and our paper work. I showed him my pretty list that Aileen typed out and he said. "Let me just go get your keys, so you can go on your way." OHHHH RELIEF! What a huge blessing. Do you know how many boxes said, "A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING" on them . Hehee. By the end of packing I just simply didn't care! (o: 

Penske, pulling U-Haul. We like to break the rules! (o;





So at the border we switched out kids. They took turns riding in the truck. We stopped at Wendy's somewhere for lunch and had a little picnic.






We arrived home around...... Actually I don't remember. 4:15 ish?  Ken's cousin Rob was waiting for us. Soon after people started coming. Jen (Rob's wife) had filled up the fridge. So nice. Her dad came to help. The Hucksteads came. John Procee came. Dave Pronk and his daughter came. I think that's it. I didn't get pictures because I was too busy telling people where to put things. I am good at that. hehe. I think it may have only taken an hour and a half.

Shortly after that Jarrett and Aileen showed up. I was sooo thrilled to see them. The first reason is that I love them. Second, WE GOT SOOO MUCH DONE! (o: We set up beds and organized a little. They came back in the morning and we totally organized the living room, dining room and Ken's office.

So now we sit here in Michigan. The transition has been pretty seamless. I can't really believe that we have had no tears. Our home is home. It truly is a blessing from the Lord. We see over and over God's hand in our lives. The kids have been spending time with Rob and Jen's kids. I love having Jen around too. It sure is a blessing to have family here.

This morning we checked out the school that we would like to send Josh to (Zion). We LOVED it. We just need to make sure a few details work out before we make the final decision. One of then is that we need to make sure that we can get him there. We only have one vehicle and it won't work for Ken to bring him. They both start school around the same time and are on the opposite ends of town.  Josh would have to be at school crazy early. We are hoping some sort of busing will work out. Praying we will find a way.

So that's about it so far. (o:

Comments

  1. Belinda, I am so happy the boarder went well for you and that your new home feels like it was meant for you!
    Your kiddos look so sad in that one picture... Even grace looks like she doesn't totally know why she should be sad, but she still is.
    Praying school works out for josh and that you can get your extra stuff unpacked in good time. (we still have boxes unpacked from 3 years ago, so I will never judge you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God bless you as you enter this new chapter in your life. John & Allison Vandenbor

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything went well, Belinda. We're so happy and excited for you, but we'll miss your family so much! Praying the transition continues to go smoothly. Moving faraway is definitely fun and excited, but comes with its challenges(this coming from someone who's never lived longer than 9 years in one place!) Looking forward to regular updates on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to read that you have arrived safe and sound. And I LOVE your new house. Actually, change that word "house" to "home". It is beautiful!! I enjoyed looking through your pictures. I love the one with Grace drinking from the jug of juice. That is cute! And nice action picture of Nads' flip flop falling off while standing on the truck! :o) Praying that things may continue to go smoothly and that God will continue to bless this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWSA! Quite the story. Beautiful pictures-all of them. The one of Penske pulling U-Haul is classic!! Glad you are settling in and I am in love with your house! SO SO nice that Jen filled your fridge!!!!HUGS friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moved so many times growing up. Maybe 10 times! This is your first move, but definitely not your last. Sounds like you are holding it all together just fine! You are in my prayers. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belinda, I had tears along with you as I read your blog. I remember all those moves that we made as a pastor's family. It was hard but GOD IS GOOD! You have such an awesome attitude. Grand Rapids is fun....SOOO much to do. Check out www.grkids.com !!! Can't wait to see you all and get to know each other again. Take care, Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are settling in so well, and that you had so much help. Jen is a wonderful person isn't she? It would be just like her to stock up your fridge. Nice to hear that your children have been spending time with her children.
    Praise God for the great things He has done in your lives.

    Uncle John and Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, and to think of all that's gone on in the last week! But, by God's grace, you made it! Wishing you all God's blessings as you start this new chapter in the book that is your life! And your stuff won't go anywhere sitting in our barn. As long as it's gone by our 25th anniversary(wow, I'm old). That's only four years away!Gotta clean out the barn then for a big shin ding!!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment