The Flag and the Wall.

I had a completely different post that I wrote yesterday about our "goings on" here, but we just got back from a service that I need to write about.

On Wednesday, a wall with the names of approx 57,000 soldiers who lost their lives in the Vietnam war, was transported to a veteran park just down the street.

It was beautiful.


To bring the wall to the park, the bikers and the wall passed under the flag. 
The wall is beautiful and it was very long.



It went way this way....


and way that way.....



Tonight there was a service with some songs. A letter was read that was written by a woman who was in Vietnam during the war, thanking the soldiers for their service. There was a time when the Veterans were called to the wall to be saluted and for them to salute their fellow soldiers, whose names were on the wall. There was a 21 gun salute and the bagpipes played amazing grace.

There were wreaths, letters and picture all along the bottom of the wall.





We were a bit out of our element. It was kind of like a Remembrance Day service on Nov. 11 in Canada, but yet so different.

I felt like I was intruding a little bit. It reminded me of someone sitting in a group of parents whose children have been through so much because of cancer or who have lost their children because of it. That group of parents would naturally form a bond and it kind of becomes a group or club.  That person sitting in the middle of the group would not really have a concept of what the parents were feeling or what they have gone through,  but yet they could still feel the grief.

I felt the people's sadness. Some of them lost children, brothers and fathers. I listened to a lady beside me, explain to someone that she lost her son a few years ago in Afghanistan. I had a hard time not crying out loud for this lady.

There was a wall with the names of the men and women lost in the war against "terror". We saw people shading over names of the wall onto paper. Josh saw people touching and rubbing specific names on the wall of remembrance for the war in Iraq. We saw a man sitting in a wheel chair with his hands over his eyes quietly crying.  




Today has opened my eyes. We appreciate our veterans of all the wars. But I never thought about the POW and MIA's. Can you imagine losing your child, but on top of that not getting their bodies back or wondering if they are suffering as a prisoner of war? I can't. 


They did a balloon release at the end. 




It sure is making me think. To be honest I can't really figure out what I am thinking. It just kind of shook me up.









Comments