The border story and a few camping pics!

Soooooooo, my kids left this morning with Ken to go camping. We just got back from camping on Monday. But this is a way up north, roughing it, bears kind of camping that goes better without a mom and a 2 year old. I always feel a mixture of sadness and joy when they leave. I will miss them and struggle to give them over into God's hands. I some how think I am this amazing person who can keep all harm away. If I am not there who will take care of them? I know, crazy. Firstly God is in control, secondly Ken is very capable.

I plan to use this time to pack up the house. This morning I did business. I closed our utilites here. Cancelled house insurance, changed addresses and booked the moving truck. I tried to hook up our utilittes for our new house, but it was like I was trying to borrow a million dollars. We don't have a Visa or a social security one, no not even a temporary one. I think I will have to wait to do that stuff until I get there. Yikers.

On the way to camping last Friday we drove down the 402 towards Sarnia. I told Ken I wanted to keep driving to our new house. He thought I was crazy. But I had a moment of excitement. I caaan't wait to make our new house our home. I already see it as ours. It just is.  

Since we were 20 minutes away from the border while camping, we slipped to the border before we went home on Monday to do our SEVIS paper work.

For the first 10 minutes I cried and squeezed Ken's hand. 

It represents so much. The paper work seems final. 

So we went to the border and got to the boothy. The man was nice. It was the first nice one in a while. When we told him what we needed to do, he spoke into a walky talky and said, "Delta Bravo 343, we have a white caravan with 7 occupants coming."

So then we were shown where to park.  Ken had his window open and a guy met us. He told us that we couldn't  take my purse or any bags in. All the electronics had to stay in the van as well. We could only take in our paper work and ID. He then asked for our keys. 

As this exchange was happening our kids were all wide eyed and looking at us wondering why everything was so official. Actually I should say that Josh's eyes were shining. He thought it was cool.

Then we were shown into the door and told to wait until we were called. As we stood there waiting, we saw the man lock up our keys. We saw families of many different nationalities. We saw vehicles being searched. We saw people with wide eyes, wondering what was going to happen.

When it was our turn we talked to a super nice guy who asked what we needed, why were going, how we would we be supported, how long we are going stay, where we are going to live, he asked Ken why he would want to go into the ministry..... etc.

He was happy with our answers and he started the paper work. Ken, Josh and I had to get our finger prints done and our pictures taken. 

As we waited for our guy to do the paper work, we listened to people explain that the seeds  that they have are cumin seeds to season their food. The men officers had no idea what cumin is! (O: We listened to people list what kind of food they have in their car. We watched people watching their car being searched and taken apart. We watch a man being taken in and be brought on his way to be arrested because he was in the country illegally. We watch a guy take out a huge  machine gun from its storage box. We watch a family being put in a room for questioning. 

While our guy was doing our paper work, he and I chatted. We talked about the Mexican border. I told him I was sad to see that guy in trouble. We talked about how hard it is to live in Mexico with a government that doesn't care for their people and that regardless it is still wrong to break the law.

In the middle of our chatting, he tested me by asking how many kids we have. What a silly guy. Who would try to get into the country with extra kids? I wanted to say to him, "Really? After all your questions and our chatting, you still felt you needed to slip a question in?" It almost felt personal, even though I knew he was doing his job! (o:

Our guy did an amazing job and we were out of there in 1 hour.

My kid will never forget that experience. I think we will hear about it in the years to come. 

We forgot money for the dumb toll and we couldn't back up so we had to tell the guy in the booth that we didn't have money. He was kind and let us through. Next time we go through, we are going to by 10 tokens. That should do for awhile.

We were so thankful and relieved that it went so well. We decided to go under the US bridge in Sarnia to the waterfront. It is my new favourite spot. It is so beautiful. 




We have 9 more days until we move. NINE!! That is super crazy. As we prepare, we see God's hand in all that we do. He is tying up our loose ends with ease. The things we have worried about for months are all OK. It has been another lesson in trusting and I am so thankful for His provision. He is always faithful. Maybe one of these days we will trust with out the wondering. He has showed us enough times, that He will take care of us in all things. 

I am as sad as I am excited. No really, I am excited. It's time to go. When we came home from camping, we walked into our house and Ken and I looked at each other  - Our house didn't feel like home. It felt like the place we are staying for another 10 days. I was thankful that God was helping me move on and Ken was sad that the feelings of love were going. He LOVES our home. It has been a special one. 


The official 9 day packing push starts right now. I can do it..... with the help of my dear sister in laws. I think I am going to have to call them in! (o; I am thankful they are willing to be called. I truly love those ladies and am so thankful to have them in my life. For real. 

Here are a few camping pics.


Getting a little chilly, but she wouldn't not stop swimming.

We went for a drive to help get Grace relaxed. The beautiful Sarnia waterfront.
 

Soooo tired.

Trying to wake up around the fire. It was the meeting spot in the middle of everyones campsites. 

Waiting for the day to start! (o;




Comments

  1. Funny story about that spot under the bridge: my dad and my sister and I were working in Sarnia once and ate our lunch looking over the river. While we were there some guy all decked out in swimming things got into the river and swam accross. When he got to the US side he started to walk around and some guy on the Canadian side was taking pictures. Another person was watching too and he said, "He can't just do that can he?" I don't know, but apparantly he did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOWSA! That is sooo illegal! I am surprised he didn't get caught! He was either very brave or very foolish! (O:

      Delete

Post a Comment