We have a 14 year old.

Today Josh is 14. WHAT???? I have a 14 year old. That sounds nothing but strange and may just age me 10 years! (O: I remember clearly being 14. It really isn't that long ago is it?I am also realizing, that in just over 4 years, depending on what he decides and where our family is living, he could be leaving us. That makes me open my eyes real wide and spurs me on to use and enjoy this time we have left with him.

Josh was born 10.5 months after we got married. Looking back I can't believe how young we were. No really.Crazy. Josh is the only one of our kids that has moved around. When I was about 26 wks pregs we moved to Hamilton. Ken got his first teaching job at this school that was more like a 1 room school house. He taught grades 6-8.  I think they were Penecostal. It was interesting, but I was much too young to realize just how different it was. Everyone must have thought we were nuts. Looking back I think we were. (O: But God gave us peace, so we went. We lived in a little home that had a kitchen with just enough room for our small table, a bathroom and a bedroom. It was SMALL. But it worked. Living on Love might be an accurate description. We were making 300$ a week. Yikes! (O:

So Josh was born in McMaster hospital on Good Friday April 10 1998 at 4:06 am. Our family doc, Dr Scholtens delivered him on the one day he told me not have a baby. I think it was his wife's birthday! (O: . Labour was hard but not too crazy. They told me I labored like a good dutch girl. hehe.

I remember holding this cute little dark haired baby, whom we named Joshua David. We just looked at him and couldn't really comprehend that we had a baby. It was strange. I loved him fiercely right away, but it was different than the rest. I think I was in shock. It was a good shock though! (O:

When he was 3 months old we moved to Vineland, as Ken got his second teaching job. He taught Grade 6 at Heritage. We always laugh when we think of Ken teaching Grade 6. Having to keep a classroom, do bulletin boards, make sure they walked in a straight line and deal with crying girls when they had fights with their friends. Oh boy..... (O: The school was great, but we knew were meant to be home (St Thomas area) and Ken was meant to teach highschool. So after that one year we came home and Ken started teaching at PRC.

So through this time, Josh grew into a little toddler. He was keen to learn and he was the center of our lives. I have memories of walking through the fields with Josh and our dog in Shedden. I went for bike rides with him on the back of my bike. He and I visited Ken's parents on the farm at coffee time many times a week. We napped on the couch together everyday. I remember my sister in law asked what I do all day. I was rather indignant and told her I did lots. I did. I cleaned my house, went for walks and bike rides, taught Josh his letters, colored, did playdough, watched Franklin and Seven Little Monsters. Really I was busy! (O:  Haha, now I look back at my simplistic life and it makes me smile.  Josh was such a good little friend to me. Because he was an only child for 4 full years we did everything together during the day and he also went everywhere with Ken and I on the weekends and evening. He was so easy.Those days were precious and I think if I ask Josh when the good old days were, those are the days he would mention.

 I went through the photo album looking for some pictures of him as a little guy. We have TONS of them. He for sure has the most pictures. But it sure made me appreciate my current camera. I also appreciate digital.  We don't have one decent pic of Josh as a wee baby. )O: I could have posted a zillion, but I just picked a few! He sure was a cutie. Siah looks the most like Josh. But I am sure seeing a little of Pips in there.





Top: Josh is so mad that I told him to get out of the picture. He was used to being the center of our universe!
Bottom: Josh spent a lot of time with the Curious George. It used to be Ken's when he was little !!!!

He is a fantastic big brother! He looks like my brother Pete in the picture on the left. I don't remember Josh having such dark hair and a round face. 

Bottom: Taking care of Micah in his own way. He spent so much time with Micah, just sitting or playing games.  Micah looks great in the bottom picture. It was just a month or so into treatment.  You can tell on the top he is further into treatment.  Micah was hardly walking here.  

Josh's heart has gone through so much in the last years. He understood so much when Micah was sick. We tried our best to shield him, but it wasn't always possible. The burden he carried was immense, especially when Micah relapsed. I had to tell him how sick Micah was and that things didn't look good.  He hurt so badly, but I know God was with him because he was able to still stand and carry on. We pray the Lord will use our hard years for a purpose in Josh's life.

In September our boy will be going to Grade 9. It is hard to believe. He is ready to leave the house every morning and become more independent. It will be good for him to be accountable to other teachers. Maybe he will see that sometimes I am right! (O: I am also excited that he will be able to get involved in sports on more of daily basis. He will love that.

Josh boy, we love you more than you know. We pray everyday that you will grow more and more in Christ.I know that the next year hold a lot of change for our family and it will be hard to leave your friends and family, but God will go before us and behind us. He will supply all your needs. He promises. Thank you for being such a good help and loving your brothers and sisters. They don't always show it, but they love you too!

Comments

  1. I love this post! Wow, does Siah ever look like Josh!
    Happy birthday to Josh :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment