A Rough Scan...

Usually I write a post saying that the scan is done and went very well. This time I can say that the scan is done, but it didn't go well at all.

We pretty much ran down the hospital halls to make it to MRI/CT by 9:30am. Since the new part of the hospital has been built, I haven't quite gotten the hang of the layout. (O:  Micah took off his jeans and put on some goofy hospital pants. We waited and waited and waited. They came out and told us that they were running late because a little girl was having a hard time. So we walked to find a family we know, whose son was having surgery today. I so wanted to hug the mom and tell her that we are praying. We couldn't find them. Then we went to PMDU to go to Art Therapy, but it was closed, so we grabbed some cards to play while we waited.

They were 1.5 hours behind. I was not at all angry. It happens. It is the nature of the hospital. I am sure the people doing the scans would like to have things running on time if it was up to them.

At 11 am, we got back there and got his IV in. It was then that I saw the tears in Micah's eyes. We hugged and he cried and cried. He had stopped by the time the sweet techs came to get him.  I never stay in scans with Micah any more. He is old and experienced. But this time I did. I put on some ear plugs and sat on the chair and started the new Randy Alcorn book. Four minutes in, I saw him shaking with tears.

We stopped and I kissed him, rubbed his head and encouraged him.  It has been awhile since we have had an MRI. They are typically an hour, compared to the 4 minutes a CT takes. I think part of reason he was upset is that he hates long things. An hour is long for him to lay very still. But I also think that the impending results of the MRI is bothering him a lot.

So I stood beside him, held his finger, rubbed his foot and tried to keep him from crying. We did breathing together and I tried to keep him distracted by chatting with him. The times he couldn't hear me because of the noise,  I held his foot, with my head outside the tube where he couldn't see me and cried. It hurt me so much to see him sad. It is one thing to hurt myself. But not being able to help his hurt, aches badly.  The tear streaks down the sides of his face towards his ears were heart breaking. We did have to stop a few times to help him settle. It took an hour and 25 minutes to get it done.

They were so patient with him. The man was such a love and had kids around Micah's age. He was so sweet. I thanked him many times at the end.

I took Micah out for lunch after. We didn't talk about the scan during lunch. He was just so relieved to get it done. I didn't want to press him, even though my mommy heart wanted him to pour our his heart to me and tell me exactly why his heart is hurting so much.

We are so thankful it is done.  We could get results as early as Friday, but as late as a week.

We are so praying for a clear scan.....

Comments

  1. Praying for peace for you and especially Micah too. What a weight for your young man to carry. Makes my heart hurt too - and makes me thankful again for God's faithfulness and mercy. Praying for a clear scan with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for you and your family! Praying that all will go well and may God grant you His grace. In Christ, Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for positive results. I have tears reading your blog today. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart hurts for you as I read this, but I love seeing how you loved Micah through his pain. Praying you all rest peacefully tonight and are refreshed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Micah, we are praying for you. You are so strong and so brave. You are one amazing 9 year old young man and we feel very blessed to know you. We will pray for you tonight - that you may lie down and sleep in peace. And will keep praying that the scan is clear and that your fears may be put to rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment