More than just scary.....

Lately Grace and I have been up between 2 and 4 each morning. She has such a full nose that it is running down the back of her throat and she coughing and choking through the night. The sleeping isn't really happening.

Last night, the new paper man was standing on my front deck as I came into the kitchen at about 3:30 am with Grace in my arms. It scared the kaboodles out of me. When I heard the clunk of the paper in the mailbox, I sighed very loud with relief.

I am not fabulous with going outside in the dark and things like that, but I have been on edge in an extra sort of way. Our nephew gave us, The Day Satan Called by Bill Scott, to read.  You may ask, "Hey lady, why are you reading a book like that?"  It is scary?  Oh indeed, it is!  Did I lose sleep? FOR SURE!! But I also think that it is very relevant.

It is something I have always been very aware of. Angels and demons are very real. They are present in our lives. I think that sometimes in our conservative, sheltered, Reformed circles we tend to ignore this stuff.

I remember as a young girl having my first encounter with Evil. I would say I was 10 or 11 and was biking up town all by myself for the first time. I was buying a new basketball from the shoe store for 10$ (O:. There was a man sitting on the bottom of a sign post on the corner of Talbot and Ross. The evil radiating from him shook me to the core and made the hair on the arms stand up. You may think that I was pretty young to remember that and really be right about it. But I have no question about what I felt. I actually saw that man's face in my bedroom window that night laughing at me. I had prickles of fear running up and down my spine. I will never ever forget it.

I didn't think that I would ever say this out loud, except to a few of our close people, because it sounds nuts. But Ken and I have experienced something in the last months, while we were walking. We can't explain what we saw any other way than saying it was a demon. If my rational, level headed husband can't explain it logically, it must have been something beyond us! But that is for another day.

I am concerned about  how lightly our world takes the occult, vampires and witches. Those things are evil. Making a movie about these things, does not make them less evil. Twilight, is an example of this. I have never watched it myself, but have heard Christians comment that it is such a nice, sweet love story.  Another is The Vampire Diaries. In the late 90's there were also some shows that were more about the power of witches.

We as Christians, should make no place in our lives for these things.

I wish that I could explain it better!!  Bill Scott talked about opening areas of your life to Satan. Watching, reading and entertaining these things soften you to the seriousness of evil and super natural powers. It is just what Satan wants. The Devil wants you to buy into those stories and wants you to think they harmless.

Please don't do it. It is real and it is serious.

Eph 6:12 (ESV)
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing, Belinda! I always feel like we've just had coffee together when you blog :) Thanks for bringing up this difficult, somewhat touchy subject. You're so right, that in Reformed circles we sort-of pretend these troubles don't exist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. I am convinced it's there, too. I vividly remember waking up to a person standing in my room when I was very small, who then disappeared. I was so scared, and I think I stayed up all night praying and singing "Jesus loves me". People always think you're crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment