Micah Update

I know there are people who are quite new to my blog and to Micah`s story. Just so you know.....

I started sending out Micah updates the first week of Nov 2007, the week we found his tumor on the couch. I would send emails out at least once a week, sometimes more depending on how things were. I think there are over 150 of them. There must be way more than that though! I am not exaggerating when I say that each update reached over a thousand computers, then went on from there by people sharing the content of the updates through conversation and prayers. It was a beautiful thing. I don`t do updates often now. I just write here. But there are still those people who don`t do blogs or facebook and would like to know how Micah is doing. So I usually just do them around scan time now. Even though people who read my blog and get my updates by email overlap in a big way, I like to post my email updates here too, so that I can keep a record of them. (o:

Here is my update that I send today by email:

Hello Everyone,

I just have to say that although I am used to writing things on my blog, coming back to write an email update, strangely seems so comfortable and talking to you all, feels like I have come home. These emails were such a huge part of our journey. Not only did they keep you informed and helped you to pray for us in specific ways, they were also so important for me to write things down and it helped me work things through. I have a huge binder of Micah updates on my shelf and I have saved some of your encouragements as well. The people I have met and the love we have received will never be taken for granted. It is so special. 

I promised in my last email update that I would let you know when Micah's next scan is. It is coming up quickly. The date of it is Oct 11. 

The difference between this one and the others, is that a few weeks ago Micah had a chest XRAY. It has completely taken the guessing out of this scan. (O: His chest XRAY was clear, so we are counting on his scan coming out clear as well. I feel like this scan is just a formality. What a blessing!

The reason he had an XRAY is because he was having difficulty breathing, especially when he laid down. He has started a new puffer and it has totally fixed his breathing. I am so thankful. I was getting worried. There is always the possibility that he could have lung problems. because he is missing such a good chunk. I never realized he was missing such a big piece until I really looked at his last XRAY. I usually stand behind the wall and frantically scan the picture on the computer looking for anything that could be cancer. This time the picture was on there for a long time and I relaxed enough to look. There is actually a big space where his lung was. It is quite amazing. 

We are so thankful that things are going so well. Sometimes it is hard to believe. Micah will have another scan in Jan and then again in April. We will then have hit the 2 year mark. Unbelievable. Then I think we will be putting more space in between his scans. For me that is a huge step. But I think I am ready to take it. For me to say that is a big deal. I am the one who would love a walk through scanner to use anytime I feel the need! (o: Between all the scans and radiation treatments, Micah has so much radiation in him, that he just might glow. I used to think that a little more wouldn't hurt him and it was worth the risk. But we are so far out now and feeling more confident that to me the risks are starting to out weigh the benefits. I am starting to wonder about the long term risks he faces because of the radiation. But ask me that again next April. I probably will have changed my mind once the time comes. (O:  There is also the possibility that he may be getting his port out after this scan. That is a big step. There are benefits and drawbacks to that. We will see what his Doc says. 

I will let you know when the official results come in!

Thanks for walking this journey with us. You are a blessing to us. 

In Him, who is always faithful,
Ken and Belinda


   

Comments