School/Josiah and his new love......

Our first day of school is done.

I have to tell you that I was nervous. It sounds odd. I shouldn't be nervous. I don't need to leave my house and the kids I am teaching are mine. Well, it is a big responsibility and I realized in the last week, that I have to teach at least 12 lessons a day (not including penmanship). That is kind of nuts. But today I learned that it can work. We are going all day this year, but I think it will be better. I will relax more and just take my time. I am actually a little excited.

I have been thinking about school a lot in the last little bit as I have organized and prepared. Last year was our first full year of school that we had had in 3 years. Between Ken and I, in those three years we were just scraping by with the basics in school as we took care of Micah.

Last year at the end of the year, I was thankful for the year God gave us. It was a miracle. But I wasn't thrilled with the progress we had made. But the more I have thought about it and reflected on it, the more I see that last year I was still very much recovering emotionally. We had periods that we were living in fear. I struggled with being down and keeping things together here. We wondered everyday if that was the day that Micah would relapse for the second time. We wondered if this was the year that God was going take Micah. Grace was also very little.

I was also very worried about not progressing with Micah as much as I had wanted to. Since he had been diagnosed in Kindergarten, last year was his first full year of school and there was a part of me that wanted to push him. But when it came down to it, I couldn't do it. He was still recovering as well in every way. His body took a long time to heal and his stamina was not normal at all. He had also been through a trauma emotionally.

I am thankful today that Micah is healthy. Our hearts aren't completely healed, but we have come a long way in the last year. I am excited for a new year with lots of new things to teach and learn. (O: Praise God for his goodness!

Something very fun happened today!!!! I was doing some writing stuff with Natalie and Siah started reading  some of her words. It just happens that he can read on his first day of kindergarten! I wonder how long he has been able to do that and just didn't know it! (o: His eyes are shining and I am excited for him and me. He brought the book to bed to keep reading words. He is pretty much in love. I am excited that we are skipping the process of the child learning to blend the sounds to make a word. The sounding out part is easy. It is blending that's hard. I am whispering this, "It can be an excruciating process!" (o:

This picture is from camping, but this is how shiny his eyes were when he was reading. He truly is an individual and I think he is fun!



I hope you and your kids, whether they go to school or are homeschooled had a great first day! (o:

Comments

  1. Anonymous said...that is such a treat not to have to teach him to read! Nice job Josiah. Glad that he enjoys it, it will make the trickier blends easier if he loves reading. my girl has resorted to guessing instead of sounding out over here. she can do it, it just takes too much time to slowly sound it out.
    Love it when a younger child gets the older siblings lesson - that's one of great things about homeschooling. you teach one and the others learn something too.
    Taunya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment