PMDU

There may only be a few people who read my blog that will really understand what I am talking about when I talk about PMDU and Art Therapy like this.  You will wonder what the big deal is! (o: But that is OK.  I just need to get it down! (o:

Micah goes to a place in the hospital called PMDU (Pedeatric Medical Day Unit). This is where we get doctor checkups, blood work, day chemo and go to get checked in before being admitted or sometimes before a scan, if he needs an IV for contrast. It is where Art Therapy and Child Life are. It is home.

In May, the whole unit is moved to a different part of the hospital. It is in a brand new wing.  It is beautiful. On one hand it is good. Sometimes it was cold and sometimes it is so stuffy that Micah and I want to scream. The last few times we had checkups the light to check his ears didn`t work. There are chunks out of the walls. It is getting pretty old. It doesn't look clean. Its blah. It will also be good to leave some of the rooms behind that hold such painful memories.

But it hurts my heart a little, actually a lot that it is different. When I went in 6 weeks ago and saw Art Therapy stripped clean of all the art and pictures on the walls, it made my eyes tear up. Art Therapy has been an oasis in that place. It was a place for Micah to craft and talk things through. It also has been a place that parents can connect. The looks shared over those tables have contained many words that could not be spoken.

I know there is a new Art Therapy room, but our memories are in this one. Secondly the new room is about 1/3 of the size. The powers high up did not at all consider the importance of that room. I know they can't understand  unless they have been there and needed it, but they didn't listen to anyone or try to understand. There were days when the room was packed. There are parents, kids, wheel chairs and poles to accommodate. There will be no room to sit as a group and just be. So sad.

This is Art Therapy. It is not the best picture I have. I have a picture that I took from the door, but I can't find it. This is only half the room and the other half is much prettier! (o:


This is Veronica, the Art Therapist that Micah is closest to.


According to Micah, there are only 2 redeeming qualities. The same people are there and we get to park in a parking garage with a glass elevator that goes up 7 stories. Now that is a good time. Yep, we know how to have fun! Haha. Last time I went I took all the kids which is rare. We went up and down the elevator about 5 times. (o: (There are 3 elevators and no one got on with us! (o; )

I am sure we will get used to new. I always thought I liked change, but I am realizing I don't. I get very attached to what I am used to and it is just comfortable.  Could it be my old age? (o:

Comments

  1. Wow, that looks like a happening place!! Love the stuff stacked up and on the walls. Too bad the new room is so much smaller.

    LOL...YOU getting old? After the comment about the glass elevator, I'm confident that you'll be able to make great new memories in the new place!!

    Hugs, Jacqui
    P.S. I'd be puking if I went up and down an elevator that many times...once is all I can handle LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been in the new PMDU. It is nice - but COLD! Weird that the art therapy room is small - the foyer/seating area where you come in is definitely spacious enough. One wonders what they are thinking of...
    And we noticed that a waiting room is a waiting room. Funky furniture doesn't make the hour long wait go any faster.
    But the staff is very helpful and kind. We are thankful that we are not regular visitors there, and that it is a nicer place (in most respects) for those who are.
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true Carmen, it has lost all its personality and is not homey anymore. It doesn't look like a place made for kids and the rules are very different. We actually have to wait in a waiting room. We are about 3.5 years past sitting in a waiting room! (o: Normally, we just check in with Tine and then wander to Art Therapy and just chat with people.... Now it is so formal and we all have to sit in a waiting room until we are called. But we will be thankful, despite the draw backs! (O: It is quite luxerious! HAHA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment