A hospital critique by Micah.

This past Thursday, I had an appointment to take Grace in to get her chest listened to. She has had a cold for a while and was sounding pretty rough. That morning, I decided to take Micah in to get his chest listened to as well.  For the last few weeks, he has been so tired and white and has been really out of breath. Ken and I were worried. My parents told me later that they have been worried and wondering if there was something going on with him. I haven't wanted to take him in to the hospital. I wanted to wait it out a little and not make a big deal about it and worry Micah. So I thought this was the a good opportunity to get him looked at.

Our family Doc is a love. He delivered me, so I have been with him for a very long time. He didn't hear anything in Micah's lungs, but because of his laboured breathing, he wanted to be very cautious and send Micah for a chest XRAY.

This put me into a little bit of a controlled panic to be honest.  Unexpected scans/Xrays are hard. What if this was the time? I had no time to think about it. Ken didn't know I was going and I didn't want to call him at school, especially if it was nothing. He would worry in a big way. I did call my good friend Aileen just to chat it out and let her know, just in case I needed someone to come to me.

The Doc called me about three hours later and told me that the picture was clear. They didn't see anything. Praise the Lord. We are so thankful. It does take a huge load off.

The reason I started writing this is because Micah said something so funny. I wish I had written this sooner so I could remember exactly what he said. But, honestly, it took me a few days to get over having the XRAY. It sounds silly and you may not understand, but that afternoon was really hard on me. I can now finally laugh at what he said.

We are so used to dealing with London. We love our hospital. It is ours and it is home. So being in St Thomas was odd for him. We did have to wait quite awhile for the XRAY, which was expected because we were a drop in. But the lady at the desk was quite distracted, while she was helping us. She was talking on the phone and it was a personal call. She was telling someone how she was trying to get a new job. Hmmm......  I didn't say a word to Micah to put the hospital down at all. It is a good hospital. I have had 3 of our 5 babies there and have loved it.  But when he combined waiting so long, with the fact that is was like 150 degrees in there and that lady's unprofessional conduct, Micah made a comment to me on the way out. He said something like this. "Mom, if there is ever something wrong with me, I am  NOT coming here. I am used to a better hospital, with better people and better service. Just so you know!"

The way he said it with experience and authority made me laugh. He is 9 and has a very strong opinion on what a good hospital should look like! Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it and I suppose I should still correct him and tell him it is a good place... But I never knew there was such thing as a hospital snob! (o:
 

Comments

  1. LOL Joel says the same thing - he would drive to the city limits of London and call 911 - if it was something serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah is funny. :)

    We've had some good service in St. Thomas, but have had some pretty bad experiences there, too....REALLY bad on several occasions. I'd pick London anytime, although I do like the smaller-city feel of STGH compared to getting lost at Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Micah's comment :) lol

    I'm very happy to hear that everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny boy! :O)

    thankful all is well!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment