10 Months Past Surgery... Simply Amazing!

It has been 10 months since Micah's surgery and he is still cancer free. I can hardly believe what God has done for us. Last March 25th, the day of Micah's surgery, if someone would have told us Micah would be here and healthy on January 31, 2011, I think I may have been angry at them. It would have sounded ridiculous and very far fetched. It would have hurt my heart! Really, we were praying for Micah to be healthy when Grace came. Then we asked for six more months of life for him. Now we are at 10 AND he is healthy. Simply amazing! Only God could do that!

These scan results for Ken and I are so different than last time. In October, we saw the last clear scan as a small battle won in a huge war. It didn't really change the reality of life. Living scan to scan is hard. There was only one day of relief, but no joy. All of you were much happier for us than we were for ourselves. Ken and I were both in such a rough spot then. We were so down.  I am so thankful that God pulled us through that time. It was very difficult to be down together. We are still living scan to scan. But it just feels a little different. Now I am excited. There is a fresh feeling about life. I feel the sparkle back in my eyes. Just so you know, I feeeeel sparkle. I don't need to look if its there!

I can't speak for Ken, but in the last few days, I have a wee little bit of hope. I have let the thought cross my mind that maybe it won't come back. Admitting that out loud just brought tears to my eyes. I have said all along that God COULD keep the cancer away, but never believed that maybe He WOULD. In a way, it is a bit exciting to feel that way. But yet it is a little challenging. When you don't have expectations, and sad things happen, you are not as disappointed because you expected it to happen. I think that it is a way to cope. Having hope that cancer will stay away, and then having it come back, hurts just a little more.

So our next scan date, if things continue on going so well, will be mid April. We are still on a 3 month schedule. I am so thankful Micah is scanned every three months. I would be good with every 6 weeks, but they won't let me have my way. They did humor me compromise with me right after surgery. They let us scan every 8 weeks. I really needed it then. They are great at the hospital. Our oncologist went on maternity leave and we got a different Doctor.We do know all the Docs, just one takes on our primary care though.  I LOVE her. She is so smart and kind. She gives all of herself to her patients. I feel very well taken care of by her and very secure. But she is also to the point and blunt. You never have to wonder what she is thinking. I would say that I understand her. I like blunt people. (O;  I don't think she saw the the need for compromise and it went back up to 3 months.  I was fine with that. It was time. You see,  I would be content for Micah to walk through a body scanner every week!  If there was such a thing I would be there. Serious!  The wondering can make you a little crazy! (o;

I just have to say that I have always wanted to use that line through the word thing that I used in that last paragraph. If I didn't mention it, it would seem that I used it casually. Nope I didn't. Its not casual at all. It made me smile really big. I might have even giggled! Dork? Maybe. (o:

I just thought I would add in a picture of our healthy boy finishing the last bit of our celebration cake. On a "good scan news day" we let Micah and the kids pick supper. Since we don't eat very much meat they usually pick chicken wings and cake. He picked an Oreo cake. Yum. Doesn't he look so old here? Also he is eating typical Micah style. Check out his fingers and his face. If there is a mess to be made, he makes it. One of the Art Therapists always jokes that she wears Micah clothes if she knows he is coming. I think she is serious! (O: He splatters and spills everything! He is fun and does things with gusto. It is good that he is not boring! (o:


I say this often, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for praying for our family and walking this very LONG road with us. God is our comfort, but knowing we have such beautiful support and love does make the tough times a little easier and the good times even sweeter. You are a gift from the Lord to us.

Comments